The concept of BIM first emerged in the year of 1970 and the first software tools were developed for BIM in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and included workstation products. The early applications and the hardware were expensive and this was the reason for limited widespread adoption. In a paper by G.A. van Nederveen and F. P. Tolmanthe term “Building Information Model” was first appeared in the year of 1992, now which is popularly known as “Building Information Modeling”.
- BIM – A digital approach to the construction industry
BIM is the most used word in the construction industry. As we know, BIM is the abbreviation of Building Information Modeling, which is a process consist of various tools, software, and documents involved with the management and technologythat helps in digital representation of a building. From the designing stage to onsite construction BIM services are vastly used to well-coordinate significant disciplines such as architectural, structural, and MEP designs at the same time and place. BIM additionally helps in clash detection, cost estimation, scheduling, and facility management, so in the entire project life cycle.
- BIM technology in details
BIM technology is the base of digital transformation in the architecture, engineering, and construction (AEC) industry. BIM objects are the components that help to produce a BIM model which are intelligent, geometrically correct and store data. If any element in the BIM model is changed, BIM software updates the model to reflect that change for review by Architect, Engineer, Contractor, and Owner at no additional effort and time. BIM software allows the model to remain consistent and coordinated throughout the entire project life cycle to can work in more collaborative environs. The functionality and the benefits are divided into three parts.
- Development and Simulation
- Visualization and Cooperation
- Clash Detection
Development and Simulation: This is the designing stage which is the base of a Project life cycle. The entire construction process is mostly dependent on this stage as it helps to make the entire process more manageable by helping project managers and modeling teams to apply different conditions and add elements to their model to predict in defining optimal construction material or, scheduling and many more.
Visualization and cooperation: This is also a significant part of BIM in the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) industry. A correct and realistic model of a project helps all the team of different trades within the same construction process to identify constructability issues and look for alternative ways with visualization to execute the project more smoothly.
Clash detection: This is another very crucial area in the project execution process from BIM inclusion. By using BIM software Contractors can easily detect clashes and resolve them with the help of the project team before construction. Clash detection helps to speed up the project execution process and eliminates chances of design changes in different levels to avoid budget overshoot.
- BIM dimensions
We know, Building Information Modeling (BIM) is an amazing process of creating informative models in the entire project lifecycle of a construction project in AEC industry. During the project execution process, we come across different phases and the level of development (LOD) in a BIM model also changes to different levels namely LOD 100, 200, 300, 350, and beyond. According to the requirements in each project stage and complexity of the project, specific parameters need to be added along with the existing information stored in BIM. The additional parameters can be described as BIM Dimensions.
To enhance a greater level of understanding of a construction project and the data associated with the model BIM dimensions are being used.
In the current scenario, BIM technology has developed from basic 3D & 4D dimensions to more information-rich 5D, 6D & 7D dimensions that are assumed to change the future of the entire construction industry.
- BIM 3D (Geometry): 3D BIM represents the 3- dimensional (x, y, z) geographical structure.
- BIM 4D (Time): 4D BIM model represents the planning of the onsite construction by adding few elements such as timeline, scheduling, and duration.
- BIM 5D (Money): 5D BIM helps to easily extract cost estimation and budget analysis along with the scope, material, manpower, or equipment requirements
- BIM 6D (Sustainability): 6D BIM helps to define the energy consumption and emerges energy estimates at the very initial stage of project execution.
- BIM 7D (Facility Management): 7D BIM helps us to improve operations and facility management by the stakeholders. Anything and everything related to Facility Management is stored within Building Information Model.
- Benefits of BIM in construction management
BIM is mostly used during the designing and preconstruction stages. However, it is also highly beneficial for every phase of a project lifecycle. Even after the building is constructed. Building Information Modeling allows the project team to be built the project virtually before the real construction and eliminates many of the difficulties and major issues that may have arisen during the construction process.
Here are the 10 reasons to use BIM in AEC industry
- Improve onsite collaboration and communication with all the project teams
- Model-based cost estimation
- Visualize projects during the preconstruction stage
- Better coordination with different trades and clash detection
- Mitigate risk and reduce cost far before onsite construction
- Improved scheduling/sequencing for project planning
- Increase productivity with the help of prefabrication
- Better safety onsite
- Constructability review and report for cost-effectiveness
- Strengthen building handover and streamline facility management
BIM services have become an integral part of the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) industry. Projects using BIM services have a higher chance of success as it reduces repetitive work and increases the effectiveness of every stage of the entire project lifecycle.