Laser scan to BIM is a process and sequence of steps implemented for obtaining an actual representation of the construction project. The technique is used by various project stakeholders, including the architects, structural engineers, mechanical contractors and MEP engineers. Now, why the point cloud scan to the BIM process is used by construction professionals? Well, if you have an existing building and want some modifications to be made to that construction, laser scan to BIM process is opted for renovation, retrofitting, reconstruction and refurbishment. In this process, the building structures and systems remain the same. However, to make an accurate analysis of an existing building condition, it is important to obtain details from all project stakeholders involved in the process.
How is scan to BIM modeling used in the construction sector?
In scan to BIM modeling, 3d laser scanners are used for capturing the existing conditions of the construction site. 3d scan to bim data is obtained in the form of “points” where millions of points are combined to form a point cloud scan. Consequently, point cloud scans are imported into 3D model for as-built model creation.
What is the purpose of scan to BIM process?
The purpose of using scan to BIM process includes site verification, design validation, construction planning, as-built drawing preparation, clash detection and coordination, demolition and addition of building elements, documenting building conditions, quantity take-off/Bill of material calculation and cost estimation. The levels of construction documentation encompass:
- Making the 3d floor plans
- Creating exterior elevations and roof plans
- Working on the sections
- Design the site plan layou
What are the steps involved in the point cloud scan to the BIM process?
Execution of a point cloud scan to BIM (Building Information Modeling) is often challenging. Implementing 3d scan to BIM in the construction project usually encompasses four steps, including:
- Information Capture – The information is captured as per client requirement, field survey, and scanning various sections of the equipment.
- Process of Identifying LODs- As soon as the information is captured from point cloud scan to BIM, different levels of details along with levels of accuracy are identified. The best BIM modeling software applications for the construction project are selected during this stage.
- BIM Model Creation – Next, comes the stage of model creation, where the BIM model gets aligned in the perfect manner, through proper file setup and file collaboration.
- Quality Assurance – This is the final stage of 3d scan to BIM, where the model gets properly reviewed through work set correction, elemental representation, sample run as well as cleaning and purging files
Scope of Scan to BIM Modeling work
- Information Capture – The scope of scan to BIM modeling work, during information capture, includes device selection, choosing a professional operator and checking the Level of Accuracy as per (USIBD) U.S. Institute of Building Documentation. Further, this involves on-site verification, inspection and geo-image referencing.
- Process of Identifying LODs – different levels of Details are identified, such as 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 for various services, including architectural, structural and MEPFP. 3D scan to BIM process facilitates checking the coordinates, grid alignment, level verification and model alignment amongst the Architectural, Structural, and MEPFP services. All pipe fittings, structural framing, floors, MEP equipment, fire protection alarm, as well as fire sprinklers, are reviewed in the process for accurate installation.
- BIM Model Creation –Revit scan to BIMprocess involves the stage of model setup, assigning template, forming work views, naming of file convention as per BIM Execution Plan (BEP), verifying CDE or common data environment, setting up of Revit file setup, verifying coordination, generating viewpoints, and updating the Revit models.
- Quality Control – The work scope during the quality control process involves an evil scan to BIMmodel clean up, opening up of an individual file, preserving AEC work set, deleting unnecessary views, eliminating redundant groups, work set verifications, and auditing files.
Thus, it is evident that the laser scan to BIM process begins with capturing building image with a laser scanner, processing point cloud scan, 3D modeling through data insertion into the modeling platform, verifying it, and ultimately creating a BIM Model, eliminating clashes amongst all disciplines. To seek laser scan to BIM modeling, consult the BIM engineers of Tejjy Inc. at 202-465-4830 or [email protected].