BIM (Building Information Modeling) can be defined as the process of creating and managing information on a construction project across the project lifecycle. It creates value from the combined efforts of people, technology as well as processes to enhance the construction and offers quality-assured outputs. Building Information Modeling draws on information assembled collaboratively and updates the information at the prime stages of a project. Creating a digital Building Information Model helps architects & engineers to optimize their actions paving the way toward greater whole-life value for the asset. BIM has played a major role in the AEC industry, undergoing the digital revolution. Revit BIM services help to automate processes like programming, conceptual & detailed design, constructability analysis, documentation, manufacturing, site logistics, operation, maintenance, and demolition.
Driving Efficiency using Revit BIM
The ultimate objective of the Revit BIM model is to create coordinated, consistent, and complete model-based designs. Driving efficiency and accuracy across the project lifecycle is the unique selling proposition of Revit BIM services. It is possible to automatically update floor plans, elevations, and sections as the model develops in Revit. The ability to collaborate across teams, disciplines and time zones is the striking feature of Revit. Revit is a user-friendly software that unifies the modeling of many architectures, engineering, and construction disciplines. Revit, a sophisticated cloud-based collaboration system, allows project teams to collaborate at any time.
Unparalleled Capabilities Offered by BIM
Building Information Modeling can be used to create design drawings as well as shop drawing. Clash coordination is another application area of Building Information Modeling and BIM object is a well-balanced combination of information content that defines a product, product properties, geometry representing the product’s physical characteristics, and functional data. According to construction industry maestros, BIM is unquestionably the future of design and long-term facility management. The dominance of the innovative Building Information Modeling grows as days pass by and BIM features the digital representation of the physical and functional characteristics of a structure.
What are the applications of BIM?
Now, let’s consider the applications of BIM services for Architects, Structural Engineers and mechanical engineers.
- Using Revit 3D models, architects are able to use design for exploring various design options and use analysis tools for providing data-based insights to inform design decisions.
- Building Information Modeling allows architectural designers in creating striking visualizations, conveying their design intent. 3D renderings bring future projects to life and facilitate architects to communicate in an improved and efficient manner.
- Cloud collaboration through BIM 360 allows architects and extended team members to work together in real-time on a single design, ensuring all stakeholders have the latest information.
- BIM Revit modeling services facilitate architects to develop designs to a level supporting fabrication, maintaining design continuity by others in the development process.
- Data-rich BIM Revit 3D model supports engineers to address challenging design parameters, swiftly test the structural integrity at an early design phase, and easily adjust structural models as per design modifications.
- Model-based collaboration with Revit BIM services also enhances communication between structural engineers and the extended project team.
- Connecting structural design to detailing for structural steel, rebar and precast concrete fabrication helps to significantly shorten project timelines.
- Structural engineers use BIM services reality capture tools with light detection for capturing point clouds and providing comprehensive information about an existing built environment.
- MEP engineers and designers explore the competent constructible design of building systems before making the decision. They take advantage of design calculations for optimizing systems and fabrication content to develop optimal layouts.
- Using BIM, mechanical engineers convert the design intent model into a comprehensive fabrication model for shop drawings, 5D BIM cost estimation, duct manufacture as well installation.
- BIM simplifies collaboration by combining all design components in a standard data model. This ensures MEP designers have consistent, updated information from other disciplines.
- By implementing Building Information Modeling and reality capture tools, MEP firms work with self-assurance that they have accurate as-built data.
Benefits of 3D BIM for AEC Projects
BIM is an efficient way to ensure that all aspects of your project are planned and designed in a single, coordinated process. Let us explore the Benefits of BIM for AEC projects.
- A better understanding of the design and construction processes by all involved parties.
- Real-time collaboration between engineers, architects, contractors and clients.
- Reduced costs by eliminating reworks and unnecessary changes to designs.
- Quicker process, saving ample time before, after and during the construction.
- Enhanced collaboration & clash detection to reduce the probability of errors on site.
- BIM ensures safety on construction projects and mitigates the risks to prevent accidents.
BIM provides a common, three-dimensional language to describe buildings and interiors, linking information from diverse sources and providing a single source of truth. Industry estimates indicate that over 90% of design decisions are made during or immediately after programming—the initial phases of a project. By the time construction begins, the project design is largely fixed and rarely adjusted onsite. Early visualization is key to communicating with clients and stakeholders. Careful consideration and accurate planning are paramount during this phase, as later changes can cause significant schedule delays. Planning for even the smallest details will increase efficiency when construction begins in earnest.