Digital Twin: Evolving AEC Industry For Smart Construction
Complete Guide to Digital Twin Technology in Construction
It facilitates Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) industry by integrating real time data from a built asset. As most think, a digital twin is not BIM (Building Information Modeling). Even though a it is created with the help of BIM technology, it is more than that. A bim consultancy uses BIM technology to create 3D BIM models which can then be used for digital twinning.
What is Digital Twin in Construction?
For the AEC industry, in terms of occupant behavior, use patterns, space utilization, and traffic patterns, it provide multi-dimensional views into how an asset is organized and how it is working. Created with the aid of Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence (AI), and the Internet of Things (IoT), a digital twin is an exact digital replica of a physical building, and procedure.
Manufacturing simulation augmented reality, which is an exact replica of the built asset in the real world, can contribute to the analysis and monitoring of projects, as well as the prediction and resolution of problems, the reduction of downtime, and increased control over the entirety of the building’s lifecycle.
How Does it Work?
One of the most essential capabilities is their capacity to comprehend and reason, as well as to add value by significantly reducing the complexity of a given undertaking.
For instance, a digital twin model of a water treatment plant must imitate the fundamental operations of the plant, such as primary and secondary treatment of waste water, as well as human inputs into the system and the ability to respond appropriately to unforeseen events. Only by analyzing all of these different forms of data at the same time will it be possible to exert effective control over the functioning of the industrial water treatment facility.
How Does Digital Twin Use BIM?
Information from 3D BIM models developed during the pre-construction and design phases of a building or infrastructure project is incorporated into the BIM process. With data driven solutions, data collection is not limited to the first stages of an asset’s lifecycle, but continues throughout its development and use, and can even be used to guide the strategy and execution of future initiatives like renovation and remodeling.
Building Information Modeling (BIM) is the most time and cost effective method for developing a reliable model. BIM software like Autodesk Revit is used to create the BIM model for digital twinning.
Applications of Digital twinning in Construction Industry
- Safety Monitoring: As technologies of a building can predict the hazards of the future, the safety of the building and the inhabitants are in control. So, implementing it for building construction for facility management can help in safety monitoring and hazard control.
- Tracking of Employees: The employees of a facility, whether it is an office, hospital, or hotel can be tracked and managed using digital twin technology. This makes the work of employees streamlined and efficient, making them do only the required amount of work, and making use of their full potential.
- Resource Management: A quarter of the productive time is wasted on unnecessary handling of resources. Optimized handling of build assets can be monitored using a digital twinning technology. BIM management allows facility managers to understand how a building is performing, and to handle resources accordingly with efficiency.
- Progress Monitoring: Progress monitoring of the facility can be automated with Digital Twin. It ensures that the prescribed work is executed in the prescribed time and with the prescribed quality. By establishing a link between the construction site and its model, teams can examine discrepancies in the project’s execution and make adjustments as necessary.
- Equipment Optimization: It can assist in the monitoring and optimization of the building’s various pieces of machinery. It is now feasible, with the help of automatic tracking and more advanced imaging technology, to determine how frequently a machine is used, where on the site it is used, and what kind of activity it is being utilized for.
Benefits of Digital Twin in Construction
- Enhanced Operational Performance: The operational performance of the built asset can be enhanced. Any deviations in performance in the facility can be tracked easily, and fixed as the twin model is connected with Artificial intelligence (AI) and the Internet of Things (IoT).
- Real-Time Data Management: With the help of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the Internet of Things (IoT) the data of a building facility can be managed using a digital twin model. Since the data is updated in real-time, any changes required can be analyzed and planned before any problems occur.
- Reduced Operational Cost: It can considerably reduce operational costs compared to traditional facility management methods. With facility management automated, much time and money can be saved. Since it never cause any confusion, no mismanagement or miscommunication occurs.
- Sustainability: The building performance can be made sustainable by proper optimization of facility management with this technology. Its application in manufacturing is the future for intelligent green buildings. They help to identify the upgrades required to make the asset more sustainable.
Digital Twinning for building lifecycle management
The digital twin is leading towards smarter construction and operations of a building. A market study forecast that its market is expected to reach USD 73.5 Billion by 2027, which is growing at a CAGR of 60.6% (2022-2027). For cities it has become a new trend for smart city management, it is not just going to be used for individual buildings, but also to optimize resources and communities in smart cities.
Get A Free Quote
BIM Construction is the Future
Building information modeling (BIM) is the future of building design and construction. Get in touch with our BIM Experts.